Packing your hospital can be an exciting time ~ From making the list of everything that you will need to pack to washing the clothes.
If you are like me, and are very organised (I have four diary’s/planners) I have already got my list wrote out for what I actually need to pack.I have even brought a couple of things ~ still plenty more too buy yet though!
If you are planning on a natural birth, it is probably best to pack two hospital bags (one for labour and one for after you have had the baby). Even if you are planning a home birth, I would suggest maybe packing a hospital bag anyway just in case you need to go to hospital. In my opinion you probably should try and have a bag packed by 35/36 weeks (since you are classed as full term by these weeks).
I would also recommend checking with your hospital as to what you can take in with you, (e.g: pillows, food, electrical items etc..)
What I am going to pack in my labour bag:
- Birth plan and notes.
- Dressing gown.
- A old, big t-shirt or nightgown.
- Snacks and drinks (possibly).
- Books, magazines, tablet etc.. (things to keep me entertained while going through labour ~ because it can get very boring if you have a long labour).
- Digital camera.
What I am going to pack in my after birth bag:
- Nipple pads.
- Maternity pads.
- Very loose clothing.
- A going home outfit.
- Toiletries. (shower gel, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush etc..)
- Towels and flannel.
- Disposable underwear (you can buy some from most places, but I think I shall buy these ones ~ no affiliate link).
- Hairbrush and spare hair bands.
- Plastic bag for dirty clothing.
- Antiseptic wipes (for the toilets, unless I am able to get the private room that I am trying to get).
- Breast pump and bottles.
- Bed mats (because of bleeding after).
What I am going to pack for the baby:
- 2/3 babygros.
- Nappies and wipes.
- Nappy bags.
- Socks and booties.
- Going home outfit.
- Cotton wool.